Useful Information

Tax Return Checklist 2018/2019

Please find below a list of the details/documents which we require in order to complete and submit your 2019
Tax Return.

If you could just check through the list and send on details relevant to your own situation we would be most grateful.

We appreciate that not all the details are relevant to you, so please ignore any that do not apply to you.

Could we ask that you send in all your information as photocopies or e-mail attachments. PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU DO KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS SAFE.

  • Update of sea service, to include a clear photocopy of your Discharge Book entries (including inside front cover which shows your personal details) or Discharge Certificates, qualifying tax night sheets, if working in the North Sea then clear copies of the two page draught of water and freeboard showing the date and time a vessel leaves or arrives and the ships position at midnight sheets showing precise dates of entering and leaving the UK or the twelve mile limit. If you spend any time in the Office between trips we will need these dates also.
  • Dates in respect of any leave spent abroad on holiday or training courses. Please ensure that you do keep substantial proof to prove you absence whilst abroad. There is no need to send this proof to us but ensure this is retained in case this is requested by H M Revenue & Customs should they wish to review your claim.
  • Pay and tax details, in the form of a copy of your 2019 P60 or End of Year Financial Statement, if not, your payslips for the months of April 17 to March 2019.
  • If you have received any benefits in kind or further income related to your job, you should also provide your form P11D, Bond Profit statements or similar.
  • If you are receiving a pension in addition to your employment income, i.e. forces pension, I will require a copy of the 2019 P60 which you should receive in this regard.
  • If you are a Cadet or have been on study leave, your precise dates of attendance at college and whether receiving full pay and/or specified income during this period.
  • If you have changed employment or had several employers, we will need the precise dates of starting and finishing with each employer and the relevant P45(s) or all payslips received during that employment.
  • If you have been unemployed we will also need details of any benefits received.
  • If you have investment income, such as shares and savings we will need details of these. The types of things we require are Certificates of Deduction of tax for each savings account and Share Dividend Vouchers. Even though most of your savings interest has not been taxed we still need the details to show on your tax return.
  • We also require details of any private pensions which you may be paying into, to include the name of the pension provider and the NET amount you paid into the scheme during the period? 6th April 2018 and 5th April 2019?
  • If you have additional income in respect of any let properties which are rented out either in your own name or joint names, then we will require full details of gross rents received and a list of expenditure. Please do NOT send us your receipts/invoices, but keep these safely yourself.
  • Also, if you have a loan on that property we need a statement from the Mortgage Lender confirming the amount of interest paid on the loan during the 2018/2019 tax year i.e. period ending 5th April 2019. If you sell any investments or properties please advise us so that we can give consideration to any Capital Gains Tax which may arise.
  • If you have a Student Loan and you earn in excess of £15,000 per year then you will need to make repayments to the Student Loan Company. So that we can complete your tax return correctly we need to know whether you have such a loan outstanding and the amount of any repayments made during the 2018/2019 income tax year together with the date your loan started.
  • Could you also confirm if you are in receipt of Child Benefit, the amount per week you receive, the number of children you are claiming for together with the Child Benefit number.
  • If you have already received any refunds of tax in respect of the 2018/2019 year, of which we are not aware, could you please let us have full details together with correspondence from the Revenue.
  • Marriage Tax Allowance – if your partner is earnings less than the tax free allowances for the year which are £11,500 AND you only pay tax at the basic (20%) then it is possible for your partner to transfer part of their allowance to you. Unfortunately we cannot do this for you as your partner is the one who has to make the application, not the tax-payer. This can be done online at and you will need both your NI numbers and one of a range of different acceptable forms of ID for the non-taxpayer. If it is not possible to do this via the web then they can ring the tax office on 0300 200 3300. Please bear in mind that this transfer can only be done between couples who are married, or in a civil partnership.

Seafarer’s Tax Calendar – Key Dates

Below you will find some key dates relating to your tax affairs and tax refund claims.

Self AssessmentDeadline
Paper tax returnsMidnight 31 October
Online tax returnsMidnight 31 January
Pay the tax you oweMidnight 31 January

Income tax rates and allowances

Income Tax allowances table 2017-18 and 2018-19

Personal allowance for people born before 5 April 1948£11,850£11,850
Personal allowance for people born after 5 April 1948£11,850£12,500
Income limit for personal allowance£100,000£100,000
Maximum married couples allowance born before 5 April 1935£8,695£8,915
Minimum married couples allowance£3,360£3,450
Income limit for married couples allowance£28,900£29,600
Blind person allowance£2,390£2,450
Rent-A-Room limit£7,500£7,500
Transfer surplus married couple allowance (restrictions apply)£1,190£1,250
  1. The Personal Allowance reduces where the income is above £100,000 – by £1 for every £2 of income above the £100,000 limit. This reduction applies irrespective of age or date of birth.
  2. These allowances reduce where the income is above the income limit by £1 for every £2 of income above the limit. This applies until the level of the personal allowance for those aged under 65, or from 2013-14, for those born after 5 April 1948, is reached. For married couples allowance this applies until it reaches the minimum amount
  3. Tax relief for the Married Couple’s Allowance is given at the rate of 10 per cent.
  4. Available to spouses/ civil partners born after 5 April 1935. This allowance is 10% of the personal allowance for those born after 5 April 1938. It allows a spouse or civil partner who is not liable to income tax above the basic rate to transfer this amount of their personal allowance to their spouse/ civil partner. The recipient must not be liable to tax above the basic rate. The recipient is eligible to a tax reduction of 20% of the transferred amount.

National Insurance

Helpline for Seafarers NI enquiries 03000 582419 Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm, they will be able to assist with any queries you have.

Latest Maritime News

New and existing customers can now

Our Fees start from
£275 VAT Included


Download our information pack today.